Thursday, April 16, 2015

Genius hour at Starbucks

As I have reaserched more about the FBI and the careers available though out the job, I have learned just the scientific views, for example,the hours of work put into the career, the salary, and of course the education needed .This is helpful information of course, but to truly understand the job, I would have to understand the emotional state FBI investigators go through,and the job details only them living through it can explain.I knew meeting an FBI investigator in my town would be beneficial but practically  impossible, but sometimes the impossible is possible.
     To finish some research I went to a local Starbucks just to relax. I have always been observant of my surroundings and when a police car pulled up to the Starbucks I was curious.The police car was plain black and was in a big van style. I knew it was a police car because of the sirens and the bullet proof windows that were represented by an official sticker. When two girls entered , there shirts had: Crime Scene Investigation, written on the back. I was immediately curious and stood up and walked over to them. I observed there belts and saw a flashlight and walki talkie attached to it.I knew this was my chance to get useful information that would be impossible to get out of textbooks and websites. I walked up and introduced my self saying my school and assignment and asked if I could ask some questions.They happily agreed and I started asking questions , 
What is it like? 
What do you do on a daily basis?
How do you deal with your family situations?
How is the emotional situations ,and do you ever get caught up in them?
Sense she was a crime scene investigator, she isn't placed in the life threatening situations, they would be in a blocked off area with the evidence and where they find the remains of the crime. She explained she analysis a crime scene and can see it differently then the police or even the public eye can. A broken window of a car can tell a whole story of the unsub. Did they have force entry, did the victim try to escape, did the unsub have a partner? She also explains how she can take data to a lab and discover a whole new theory. She even opened up about a emotional crime scene she was faced with. She described a scene with a van and a family of 4 inside of it having bullet wounds to the head. She explains how the youngest girl who was no older then 6,had 12 bullets in her head,showing a clear motive that the unsub had rage on the youngest sibling. The investigator explained how she had a six year old at home who misses her mommy a lot because she has to work shifts day and night with the job. I could see the love she had for her daughter and got personally touched. I thanked the women for her time and left extremely greatful for the expirence I had just encountered.
     I am still so greatful for meeting the investigator and will never forget the expirence . I am so glad I could see the career path through someone who truly understands the ups and downs of the FBI, especially in crime scene investigations.

3 comments:

  1. This is so cool that you had that experience! Now you can understand what it is really like. I can't wait to see what else you learn along you journey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is really cool that you had the oppurtunity to meet the real people! Keep up your amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how coincidental and lucky for you!

    ReplyDelete